• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Volunteering, New Opportunity

Sparky

News I wanted to share.................

I asked a friend who knows individuals in the medical field if they had anything as far as Internship/Externship or something I could volunteer my time. I came across a free clinic opportunity one night a week for a couple of hours. It's a start, nothing fancy but I can gain some of the experience I need.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
That is great Sparky - thanks for sharing that - we recommend that all the time so it's good to know it does work!

Sparky

Laureen, you are most welcome!:) For Me, For ALL of Us, The "KEY" is to stay "POSITIVE". BELIEVE............Dream It Be It.

NEVER, NEVER give up, no matter how frustrating it is

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I never thought of volunteering in a hospital. Will they let you shadow an experience coder and let you code some of the charts as a volunteer to get experience?

Sparky

Actually, I volunteer at a free clinic, the hospitals up here are hard to get into. For now, this free clinic is a start, get familiarize with preparing charts, diagnosis, and then filing. Pretty basic stuff but again, its a start and gaining experience.

susan sayers

trying to bloom in life 2.0
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Have gone the hospital route. Its hard to get into the coding/billing dept.Closest I have gotten is filing for a practice in hospital.It was wonderful experience but insane.4 hours a week wasn't enough time to file 2 long table full of files every week.Am applying at another hospital soon.and will deliver any and all flowers and balloons till a position open up in coding dept.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Some hospitals will let you volunteer for more than 4 hours a week. You just pick your days and the hours you want to volunteer. Try talking to your volunteer director and see if they can use you for more than 4 hours a week.

Sparky

I've been trying the hospital route too, anything entry-level, registration, medical records, representative and so far, I am receiving rejection letters; "After careful consideration, we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for this position." Some of these position state they give up to six month on the job training. I know they don't offer volunteer options, that's why I went with the free clinic. Yes, it is frustrating, I am making the effort, BUT I AM NOT GIVING UP!!!